For 2012, Harley-Davidson has decided to offer more Big Twin performance for more of its bikes. The Twin Cam 103 powertrain will now be standard equipment on Softail® and Touring motorcycle models and most Dyna® models. In addition, Harley has released two new models for 2012: the V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition, and the new Dyna Switchback. One celebrates a decade of power-cruiser performance, while the other is a convertible custom-touring motorcycle with detachable hard saddlebags and windshield. In addition, the Night Rod Special gets significant updates for 2012, with refreshed bodywork and improved ergonomics.
So for the new model year, Harley-Davidson will be offering a total of 32 models. Highlights of the 2012 line include:
The Twin Cam 103 engine powers all 2012 Dyna®, Softail® and Touring models with the exception of the Dyna Street Bob® and Dyna Super Glide® Custom. The 103 is claimed to produce up to 100 ft lbs. peak torque, an increase of approximately 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces for many of these models. The Twin Cam 103 is equipped with automatic compression release, and features identifying badges on the derby cover, timer cover and air cleaner trim ring.
A Security Package pairing an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with the Smart Security System, (with proximity-based, hands-free security fob) is available for all 2012 V-Rod®, Dyna®, Softail®, Touring and CVO models. The Security Package is standard equipment on CVO models and on the Road Glide® Ultra, the Electra Glide® Ultra Limited, and the Road King® Classic. The Security Package is a factory-installed option for all other models.
The other VRSC, the Night...
The other VRSC, the Night Rod Special, gets a new tapered tail section, lighter wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics.
- The Night Rod® Special is updated with a new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics. Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of power cruising with the V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork that evokes the anodized aluminum bodywork of the original V-Rod model that introduced the liquid-cooled Revolution V-Twin engine in 2002. All V-Rod models will carry V-Rod 10th Anniversary badges.
The very custom and highly...
The very custom and highly convertible Dyna Switchback is Harley's new kid on the block for 2012. It sports detachable hard bags and windshield, along with a Twin Cam 103 powertrain and mini-ape handlebars.
- The new Dyna® Switchback combines hard saddlebags and a windshield with the easy handling and Twin Cam 103 performance of the Dyna chassis. It's a custom, but a tourer, at the same time. You can be ready for a long weekend trip with all the components on, or detach the bags and windshield, and in seconds the Switchback becomes a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. It's a convertible concept similar to the Motor Company's CVO Softail Convertible model, and makes the Switchback pretty versatile.
All Softails now sport the...
All Softails now sport the peppier Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy and Fat Boy Lo also get a new reduced-reach handlebar for a more comfortable riding position.
- All Harley-Davidson® Softail® models get the performance boost of the Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy® and Fat Boy® Lo have a new reduced-reach handlebar for more-comfortable ergonomics. A lower, narrower seat shape places the Fat Boy rider in a new "in the bike" position. The Softail® Deluxe and Heritage Softail® Classic will be available with a new optional "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair.
Finally: The Harley Touring...
Finally: The Harley Touring line gets updated with the Twin Cam 103 powertrain, a long overdue development, if you ask us. On Touring models, the 103 engine is equipped with an oil cooler.
- The really welcome news is that all Harley-Davidson® Touring models will now get the peppier Twin Cam 103 powertrain, adding power for passing. On Touring models, the Twin Cam 103 is equipped with an oil cooler. All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new "tubeless" Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option.
Harley celebrates a decade...
Harley celebrates a decade of the Revolution motor with the V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition, which gets finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork and 10th Anniversary badging.
- The Harley-Davidson Sportster® line reaches out to a broad range of riders with six 2012 models, from the race-inspired XR1200X to the accessible SuperLow® to Dark Custom roadsters like the Iron 883, Nightster® and Forty-Eight®. The Sportster® 1200 Custom can be personalized for fit, function and style with H-D1 factory customization, a process that allows customers to use the Bike Builder tool on harley-davidson.com to build the motorcycle from a selection of options that are installed as the bike is assembled by Harley-Davidson Motor Company or are installed by a dealer after the motorcycle is delivered. New 1200 Custom color options have been added to Bike Builder for 2012.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel. For more information, visit www.harley-davidson.com.